Punjabi Chicken Masala
This is an authentic homemade chicken recipe originating from Punjab, India. Serve with rice, chapatti, or naan breads.
- 1kgChicken Breast
- 3Large Onions
- Medium-Sized Ginger
- 4Garlic Cloves
- 3Fresh Tomatoes
- 2Green Chillies
- 6tbspOlive/Sunflower Oil
- 4Whole Cardamoms
- 1tspSalt To Taste
- 1tbspGaram Masala
- 1tspHaldi (Turmeric)
- ¼Bunch of Fresh Coriander
- Firstly, dice the chicken into medium-size chunks and wash the chicken.
- Cover the chicken and leave it aside.
- Next, peel the onions, garlic and ginger then grind them together in a blender. Blitz until the mixture is blended together.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil on medium heat and add jeera, cardamons and cloves. Wait until the jeera starts sizzling and turns brown.
- Now add the blended onions, garlic and ginger mixture into the pan. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- In the meantime, grind the tomatoes and chillies together in a blender (but also keep an eye on the onion mixture).
- Once the onions, garlic and ginger mixture has turned brown, add the tomatoes and chillies mixture.
- Now add salt, garam masala and haldi.
- Wait for the mixture to be browned (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the diced chicken to the pan.
- Keep mixing the chicken for 10 mins on medium heat.
- Add 1 cup of water if you want to make chicken masala.
- Cover the pan and leave it for 30 mins (keep on medium heat). Keep checking and stirring the chicken occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of pan.
- Taste the chicken and add more spices if required. Before serving, garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with chapattis, naans or rice! See serving suggestions below - Enjoy 🙂